Revista PODIUM, January-April 2018; 14(1): 107-124
Translated from the original in spanish
A view to the origin, evolution and development of the Faculty of Physical
«Nancy Uranga Romagoza at the University of Pinar del Rio "Hermanos Saíz Montes de Oca"
Una mirada a las raíces, evolución y desarrollo de la Facultad de Cultura
«Nancy Uranga Romagoza» de la Universidad de Pinar del Río "Hermanos Saíz Montes de Oca"
María Ofelia Armas Álvarez1, René Mesa Peña1, María Victoria Hernández Pérez1
Received: December 4th, 2018.
Accepted: January 11th, 2019.
This work is the outcome of a systematic work coming from people who have saved deep and experienced records about the Faculty of Physical Culture"Nancy Uranga Romagoza", University of Pinar del Río "Hermanos Saíz Montes de Oca", Cuba. Throughout this article you can find the process of establishment and evolution of the Sport Faculty of Physical Culture "Nancy Uranga Romagoza" in Pinar del Río, taking in to consideration the critics and opinions of experts. The objective of the research is to preserve the historical background of the Faculty of Physical Culture "Nancy Uranga Romagoza" and the show the compiled work to the present and future generations. In this way it can be reinforced the sense of identity and positive moral values in the institution. To carry out this study it was necessary to apply some interviews and to consult some documents about the constitution of the Faculty of Physical Culture "Nancy Uranga Romagoza" attending to the different stages of evolution.
Keywords: History Physical Culture.
Esta obra es el resultado del trabajo sistemático de quienes acumulan una larga trayectoria en el quehacer de la Facultad de Cultura Física "Nancy Uranga Romagoza" y en el ejercicio de la labor universitaria. En ella, se puede encontrar el proceso histórico de gestación, consolidación y afirmación de la Facultad de Cultura Física de Pinar del Río, expresado por los propios hacedores fundamentales. La investigación tiene como objetivo fundamental preservar la historia de la institución docente, así como también mostrar a las presentes y futuras generaciones el origen y decursar de la Facultad de Cultura Física "Nancy Uranga Romagoza" de la Universidad de Pinar del Río "Hermanos Saíz Montes de Oca", para así contribuir con la elevación del sentido de pertenencia hacia la carrera y el plantel. Para llevar a cabo este estudio, se realizó una revisión documental que incluyó una consulta a las resoluciones sobre la constitución de la Facultad de Cultura Física "Nancy Uranga Romagoza" en sus diferentes etapas, así como entrevistas a personalidades del deporte que han mantenido relación con las escuelas deportivas y, principalmente, con la Facultad de Cultura Física "Nancy Uranga Romagoza" en estudio.
Palabras clave: Historia; Cultura Física.
The sports training has its basis in ancient Greece and is later transferred to the Roman conception where the Olympic Games are born, focusing as the preparation or training to develop these first competitions. Historically, this Olympic movement has been prioritized by competition and the demonstration of skills through physical exercise and the use of sports equipment and implements.
Pierre de Freddy, Baron de Coubertin became immortal by taking sport to international levels and, with it, putting the world of muscles and action at the centre of society's target.
History and its threads allow us to show the genesis, evolution and development of humanity. Therefore, without fear of mistakes, it is undeniable the didactic value of a research that captures in a concise, clear and at the same time profound way, the different historical stages linked to the development of man as a social being. In this research, at the same time that the context of the epoch is commented, its roots are highlighted and, therefore, a narration is formed in which the most precious values of each stage are exalted.
However, to know about history is not to reduce knowledge to periods or figures, it is much more than that, it is to guarantee scientific and pedagogical updating so that it becomes an extraordinary source of study and information.
With respect to the history of sports education worldwide, studies have been carried out in order to improve the methodological strategies that integrate the sports activity with the personal growth of the student, among these studies is the one carried out by Bartioja, and others. (2016); Rodriguez, (2015).
The Physical Culture topic has been treated by different authors with different approaches, an example of this diversity is reflected in the work of Reggiani, (2016) who associates Physical Culture with sports medicine.
However, there are researchers who give a more integrative connotation to Physical Culture, declaring it as an element that goes beyond the practice of sport and its formation, such is the case of Martínez de Osaba y Cruz, (2012) and Martínez de Osaba, (2016).
Physical culture is characterized by a wide spectrum. It has a holistic character because it summarizes different manifestations of Physical Education and Sports.
It is known that "Before the Triumph of the Revolution there was a trend towards educational, hygienic and sports gymnastics". Díaz et al., (2017. p 25), but the revolutionary success of 1959 is closely related to harmonious development, through systematic and adequate exercises of the human body, which makes its influence go beyond the physical and contributes a great deal to intellectual development from early ages to old age, (Martínez de Osaba y Cruz, 2012). The Physical Culture Faculties, located in all the provinces of the country, are in charge of such managemen, Collective of authors, (1988).
The existence of a series of documents that reflect historical elements of the evolution of the Faculty of Physical Culture is confirmed and that allowed the deep and explicit analysis of the origin, evolution and development of this center, from its roots in the Provincial School of Physical Education in 1974 (Collective of authors, (1974), going through the creation of the Branch of Physical Culture in 1978 (Collective of authors, (1978) until arriving at the process of integration to the "Hermanos Saíz Montes de Oca" University in 2015. Colectivo de autores, (2010), all of them related in the present work.
An immense pleasure accompanied the authors during the research. They objectively reasoned about the need for the creation of a Provincial School of Physical Education and the role it played. They also addressed the creation, objective and results of the Physical Culture Branch, as well as the emergence, purpose and development of the Physical Culture faculty, a process that became an exhaustive search for data, numerous revisions of documents and texts and the conduct of interviews with teachers, workers and students.
This work is the result of the systematic labor of those who accumulate a long trajectory in the work of the center and in the exercise of the university activity. In it, one can find the historical process of gestation, consolidation and affirmation of the Physical Culture Faculty of Pinar del Río, expressed by the fundamental makers themselves.
The fundamental objective of the research is to preserve the history of the educational institution, as well as to show the present and future generations the origin and course of the FCF in order to contribute to the elevation of the sense of belonging towards the career and the staff. It is also, in this work, where the local history of the territory where this Faculty was built and developed is reinforced, taking into consideration criteria such as Jiménez and others..,(2018, p. 71) who states that "local history should be used as a historical source, to facilitate the understanding of historical material; the interrelation of local history with the History of Cuba can be done at any time, on the basis of any aspect, to have deep knowledge about the historical content of the locality, to know ways and instruments of interrelation of local history with the History of Cuba" and it is precisely in this way that the history of Cuba is forged in its dynamic as a process, a process that does not end and that is enriched with each contributionresearched and verified in its practice.
The work system used made possible to let know the composition of enrolment, promotion and efficiency obtained in each of the school years to date, as well as the administrative, student, union and policy directorates of the EPEF, the Branch and the Faculty. Graduates are also listed as Masters in Community Physical Activity, Doctors in Physical Culture Sciences, with emphasis on graduates as Graduates in the different school periods, including those who obtained the status of Best Records and Gold Titles. In addition, the number of foreign students who studied and graduated from the institution from 1988 to 2009 by country of origin is specified and data is displayed on the number of students received from the International School of Physical Education and Sport (EIEFD) in the Faculty from the academic year 2004-2005 to 2014-2015.
It also includes the reference to bibliographies of expansion that those interested in deepening on specific topics can find in the library of the center, highlighting in particular the contributions of the historiographic production of the last five years.
An important clarification is essential: the internal division of the research tried to establish a periodization of the historical evolution of the Faculty that allowed to work the specific historical periods, but always conserving the design and integral conception of the work with a pedagogical criterion. It constitutes a source of historical argumentation that participates in the cultural, patriotic and revolutionary formation of young students. It offers a panorama organically inserted in the historical content, corresponding to each stage.
The work presents that in the course of the month of September of 1974 the direction of the country and the organism INDER, at national level, take the decision of which the future Provincial School of Physical Education (EPEF) begins its educational activities for the students coming from Pinar del Río territory that studied in Havana, with provisional character in the zone known as Chamizo, specifically in the Farm "Antonio Briones Montoto".
Precisely on September 8, 1974, with a small faculty of teachers and few workers, as well as a reduced enrollment of students, the campus that in its early moments had the name of the guerrilla doctor "Comandante Manuel Fajardo Rivero", affectionately named by his relatives and friends "Piti" begins its teaching-educational actions thus undertaking a fruitful life, the center that during the 14 years of its existence contributed considerable achievements and results in the formation of average technicians that would make possible the formative-competitive growth of the sport movement in the ground backdown.
Four months later, on January 5, 1975, the students moved from Chamizo (Provisional School) to the current facility, which at that time was half-built and as such required the decisive effort of students, teachers and workers for its conditioning.
In March of that same year, the labor and student collectives received the surprise, and therefore unsuspected, visit of Commander in Chief Fidel Castro. The following year, precisely in the month of March 1976, it was decided by the leaderships of the country and INDER that the EPEF serve as a lodging village for the International Boxing Tournament "Giraldo Córdoba Cardín" to be held in the month of May of that same year, which propitiates that once again the students and workers move to the town of Chamizo.
At the conclusion of the Boxing Tournament, in June, the news is known that Pinar del Río had obtained the venue for the National Act for the July 26, and the EPEF is the chosen place for the lodging of the personnel supporting the great event, so it is not until September, that is, until the beginning of the 1976/77 academic year, that the return to the EPEF installation takes place. In October of that year, the organs of the People's Power are constituted and the EPEF is chosen as the Special Circumscription 121, being elected as Delegate René Mesa Peña, one of the authors of this work. Also in that month, on the 6th, the horrendous sabotage to the Cuban airplane in Barbados happened where the members of the National Fencing Team perish. Starting from these events, at the end of that year and at the proposal of the First Secretary of the Party in the province, at that time Commander Julio Camacho Aguilera, consultations were carried out through the Young Communists Union, the Student Federation of Secondary Education and the Trade Union Sections with the corresponding organizations and instances about the change of name of the institution, finally, it was approved the name of the outstanding young fencer, who died in the aforementioned terrorist act, Nancy Uranga Romagoza as the one that would identify the Pinar del Río EPEF, from that moment onwards.
In June 1977, the first nucleus of the Cuban Communist Party of the EPEF was created, led by comrade Pastor Vidal González. In September of the 1977/78 academic year, a Center for Higher Education for INDER workers, graduates of the upper middle level, was consummated in the province and Enrique Henríquez Hernández was designated to direct it, which constituted the preamble so that, through Resolution No.31 of 1978, the creation, in the academic year 1978/79, of a Superior Institute of Physical Culture (ISCF) Campus which functioned for 10 years in the same building as the EPEF and its only director was the late comrade Juan José Cabrera Montané. The Course 1979/80 is the propitious context for the delivery to the EPEF of the diploma and the flag of Moncadista Center, as well as the flag of Center free of fraud and the following course for the obtaining of the Flag of Honor of the Comunist Youths Organization (UJC) and the plaque of Heroic Tradition by the high results reached in the five-year period 1975/1980, inside which it is emphasized that during five consecutive years it maintained the condition of National Vanguard.
The period of liquidation of the EPEF begins in 1988 and its definitive closing on June 13, 1991.
- They are included among the ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS received by EPEF:
- 8 National Avant-garde Trophies.
- 8 Provincial Vanguard Diplomas.
- 18 Municipal Vanguard Diplomas.
- UJC Flag of Honor.
- Flag of the UJC.
- Pennant to the UJC flag.
- Stamp III Congress of the UJC.
- Outstanding Award in the activities by the XI Festival of Youth and Students.
- Outstanding Award in the activities for the XX Anniversary of the UJC.
- Outstanding Award in campaign of fight for the future.
- Fraud Free Center Flag.
- 3 diplomas of centre complying with the Cultural Module.
- Diploma of 1st place in the National Exhibition of Teaching Media.
- Outstanding Diploma in Graphic Propaganda III PCC Congress.
- Flag in march towards 2000.
- Flag Heroes of Moncada.
- Diploma Best Committee of the UJC at Provincial level.
- Diploma of best Committee of the UJC at Municipal level.
- Avant-garde collective flag in the emulation IV UJC Congres.
- Plaque, Special Recognition from the National Commission for Interplant Emulation for obtaining the status of National Avant-garde for five consecutive courses.
- Trophy of 1st national place in the Meeting of Knowledge and Monitors.
- Avant-garde collective flag.
- LPV Centre Diploma.
- Diploma for obtaining the first provincial place in the emulation of the System of Management and Planning of the economy.
- Diploma of centre fulfilling the orders of the III Congress of the PCC.
- Trophy of 1st. place in National Training.
- Trophy of 1st. national place in the emulation of the INTER/EPEF Games.
- Plaque of 2nd. national place in the meeting of monitors.
- Plaque of recognition of the National Direction and Presidency of INDER.
- Heroic Tradition Center Plaque.
- Plaque of recognition for the transfer and permanence in the school of the Central American fire.
In its years of work the EPEF served as a venue for different EVENTS, such as:
- Giraldo Córdova Cardín International Boxing Tournament (1976 and 1989).
- 5 Cycling tours of Cuba.
- Ramón Font International Fencing Tournament in memory.
- 2 Cuba Table Tennis Cup.
- Military Spartaquiadas of Handball.
- National Act for July 26 (1976). Accommodation for Delegates.
- Constituent Assembly of the National Council of FEEM.
- ANAP National Meeting.
- National CDR meeting.
- National Culture Meeting.
- National Mining Meeting.
- Five National Methodological Seminars of the EPEFs.
- National Encounter for Formal Education.
- 3 INTER/EPEF Games.
- National Fencing Tournament "Nancy Uranga Romagoza".
- National Rhythmic Gymnastics Championship.
- Pan American Handball Tournament.
- Regional, provincial and municipal competences in: Volleyball, Basketball, Boxing, Gymnastics, Judo, Wrestling and Athletics.
The colleagues who served as Directors of the EPEF are:
- From the 1974/75 school year to the 1981-82 school year: Carlos Rodríguez Acosta.
- From 1982/83 to 1985-86: Juan Ramón Martínez Pelegrí.
- 1986/87: Carlos Rodríguez Acosta (From September to December 1986 when René Mesa Peña was appointed).
- 1987/88: René Mesa Peña.
- 1988/89 to 1990-91 (liquidation period): Luís Cabrera Aguilar.
The Physical Culture Branch only developed the teaching-educational process through the Meeting Course to workers linked to Physical Education, Sport and Recreation within INDER and physical trainers belonging to other organizations in the territory backdown. His achievements include graduating the glories of revolutionary sport that set the name of Cuba high at the international level, among which stand out Pedro Damián Pérez Dueñas (World Recordist in Triple Jump), Julio Romero, star pitcher of the Cuba Baseball Team, as well as José Manuel Cortina Martínez, prestigious pitching coach and Jorge Fuentes Fleites, the most winning mentor of the Cuban ball.
It also had relevant results in the trade union work, as evidenced by the acknowledgements received from the National Union of Workers in Education, Science and Sport (SNTECD) at the municipal, provincial and national levels.
During the 1987/88 academic year, work was carried out on the integration of the Physical Culture Branch and the EPEF to create the "Nancy Uranga Romagoza" Physical Culture Faculty in Pinar del Río, which began its work in September 1988 as a response to the need for INDER in the territory and nationally to have universities that would train professionals of a higher level in their territories of residence, as well as for the growing development of sport around the world.
The 4 of July 1988 by means of the Resolution 143 of the President of the INDER the conversion of the EPEF in Physical Culture Faculty in the daytime, athletes and workers courses is approved. Since that date, it constitutes the center of high studies of revolutionary sport in the westernmost province of Cuba, occupying a leading role in the development and promotion of Physical Culture, Sport and Recreation, in the province, in the country and internationally.
On 22 February 2010, the Council of State and Ministers adopted Agreement 976.5, which consists of unifying the Higher Education entities belonging to the Ministry of Higher Education (MES), the Ministry of Education (MINED) and INDER. This process became a reality in Pinar del Río, in September 2015 and since then the Faculty of Physical Culture is part of the University "Hermanos Saiz Montes de Oca", being this career within those taught in that Higher Education Center.
- Achievements of the FCF.
- 1992- 1993: Bicentennial Center on Blood Donations.
- 1994: Collective Plaque V Congress of the CDRs.
- 1994: Grand Prize in Dance. FEU National Festival.
- 1994: In the middle of the special period, the mountain contingent of superior level is created where students of teaching practice participate. In addition, the workers are confronted to the attention of the farm of self-consumption and several Provincial and National prizes are obtained in the BTJs.
- 1997: 3 Prizes; 2 Gold (Story and Poetry) and 1 silver (Poetry) in the National Literature Workshop of the Physical Culture Network.
- 1998: 1 Gold Award (Short Story) in the National Literature Workshop of the network of Physical Culture.
- 1999: Diploma of Collective more outstanding in 1998 in the work realized in the Cuban socialist sport, granted by the President of the INDER. 1999: SNTECD National Vanguard Centre 2002:
- FEU 80th Anniversary Recognition for the unconditional revolutionary action of the Battle of Ideas.
- 2003: Gold Award. Theatre. FEU Provincial Festival.
- 2003: Grand Prize in Music. FEU National Festival.
- 2005: 2 Gold Awards at FEU Provincial Festival. Music and Dance.
- 2005: 2 Gold Awards in Music and Dance. FEU National Festival.
- 2005: EIEFD recognition for the results obtained in the first class of foreign students.
- 2005: Recognition by the SNTECD for having obtained the rating of excellent and the cooperation given to the "Revolution Backpack I'm with you" campaign.
- 2006: 2 Gold Awards. Provincial Festival of the FEU, Music and 2 Gold Awards, Dance.
- 2006: 1 Gold Award, FEU National Festival, Music.
- 2006: National Universiade, 3 gold (male athletics, female karate and male table tennis), 3 silver (male judo, female judo and musical gymnastics), as well as 4 bronze (baseball, male athletics and female judo).
- 2006: Recognition by Regimental Command Group 319 of Pinar del Río for the fulfillment of the missions entrusted during the 1st stage of the Caguairán operation.
- 2007: Silver Award, FEU Provincial Festival, Music.
- 2007: Zonal Ramal: 1st place (Karate), 2nd place (Futsal and Volleyball) and 1 judo athlete qualified for the VIII National Universiade.
- 2008: Diploma for the 1st place in the meeting "Por la excelencia de la natación latinoamericana", awarded by the Mexican sport corporation Russell.
- 2009: Recognition by the FAR University of Medical Sciences for the work carried out during the FAR-FEEM-FEU agricultural campaign.
- 2009: Recognition of the Head of the MININT Agrupación for his participation in the agricultural campaign "Todo por la Revolución" (Everything for the Revolution).
- 2009: FEU Provincial Festival, 1 prize and 1 mention in theatre, 2 prizes in dance and 1 prize in plastic arts (digital photography).
- 2010: National Universiade, 3 gold and 4 silver in judo, as well as 1 gold, 2 silver and 1 bronze in karate.
- 2010: World Chess Olympiad, 2 awards.
- 2010: FEU Provincial Festival, 3 gold awards in music, dance and plastic arts (digital photography) and 1 silver award in plastic arts (crafts).
- 2011: FEU Provincial Festival, 2 Gold Awards: Theatre and Plastic Arts (digital photography).
- 2011: National recognition of the work of the Honorary Chairs dedicated to the study of the History of Sport and Martiana.
- 2012: FEU Provincial Festival, Music: 2 Soloists with Gold Award, 1 Bronze Award and 1 Mention; Dance: 1 Gold Award; Theater: 1 Gold Award and Plastic Arts: 4 Gold Awards in Digital Photography, Digital Art and Crafts, 1 Silver Award in Drawing, 1 Bronze Award and 1 Mention in Drawing.
- 2012: 3 relevant awards at AFIDE (students).
- 2012: Recognition at the national level of the sustained work of attention to foreign scholarship holders.
- 2012: Recognition at the national level of the process of cultural promotion based on scientific, artistic, literary, sports and political work, which contributes to raising general culture.
- 2013: National Universiade. Athletics: 1 gold medal, 2 silver medals and 3 bronze medals, as well as 3 gold medals in Judo.
- 2014: FEU Provincial Festival. Music: 3 soloists with gold prize and 1 bronze prize; Dance: 1 gold prize and 1 special prize; Plastic Arts: 1 gold prize and 1 silver prize, both in digital photography, as well as 1 silver prize in Literature. 2014: Reconocimiento del MINCULT por resultar el único centro universitario que participa en el Festival Nacional Escaramujo, con 10 obras de estudiantes e instructor, como resultado del taller de creación.
From the year in which the integration process began:
- 2015: FEU Provincial Festival. Music: 1 Soloist with silver award and 1 mention; Dance: 1 mention and in Plastic Arts: 1 gold award and 1 silver award in digital photography and 1 bronze in craftsmanship.
- 2015: Provincial University Games. Second place in Soccer-11, Men's Volleyball and Indoor Soccer.
- 2015: Recognition of the Provincial CDRs as Promoter Centres for Blood Donations.
- 2016: First Place in the University Games Guamá. In this competition the Faculty won 20 gold medals, 5 silver medals and 4 bronzes. The gold medals were won in: Women's Marathon, Women's Table Tennis, Women's and Men's Swimming, Men's and Women's Pentalon, Men's and Women's Athletics, Men's Karate, Women's and Men's Judo, Women's Chess, Men's and Women's Basketball, Men's and Women's Volleyball, Men's and Women's Futsal, Men's and Women's Futsal and Beach Volleyball. The Silver medals were achieved: Women's Shooting, Men's Table Tennis, Men's and Women's Orienteering Race and Men's Chess, while the Bronze medals were obtained in: Women's Domino, Male Biathlon, Aerobic Musical Gymnastics, Women's Softball, and Baseball.
- 2017: First Place in Guamá University Games. The total number of medals was 18 gold, 9 silver and 1 bronze. Gold medals were won in: Women's Shooting, Men's and Women's Table Tennis, Men's and Women's Swimming, Women's Orienteering Race, Men's and Women's Athletics, Men's Karate, Women's Judo, Women's Chess, Men's and Women's Basketball, Men's and Women's Volleyball, Women's Softball, Men's Futsal and Soccer, while the Silver were reached in: Baseball, Women's Futsal, Male Chess, Male Judo, Female Domino, Male Shooting, and Male and Female Marathon. The Bronze Medal was obtained in the Men's Orienteering Race.
- 2017: Seventh place in the XIII National Universiade. In this important competition the following results were obtained: Gold Medal for Pedro J. Barbería Barrera in Karate. Silver Medal in Women's Futsal. Bronze Medals in: Men's basketball, women's beach volleyball and for athletes Endrelvy Blanco Domínguez and Raudel Azcuy Rodríguez in Karate.
- 2017: Provincial Festival of Amateur Artists. The Faculty obtained a total of 9 Medals, 6 Gold and 3 Bronze, distributed by artistic manifestations as follows: Dance 1 Gold Medal; Music 1 Gold Medal and 1 Bronze; Plastic Arts 3 Gold Medals and 1 Bronze; Theater 1 Bronze and Speech 1 Gold Medal.
Relevant aspects of the Faculty in the substantive processes it develops:
- High number of teachers who have provided internationalist assistance in Venezuela, Ecuador, Bolivia, Peru, Guatemala and Ecuador. It is added to these results the fact that their pedagogical group includes teachers of the profession exercise who work as directors of 1st category teams and/or international referees in different sports disciplines such as Volleyball, Soccer, Basketball, Boxing, among others.
- Recognitions by: the José Martí Cultural Society, the Capitán San Luís and Celso Maragato Popular Councils, the Amiguitos de la Ciencia Children's Circle, the Roberto Amarán Primary School, the Camilo Cienfuegos Military School, the Provincial Blood Bank, the Turcios Lima Polyclinic and the Sports Directorate. They have recognized the Faculty for the community work, help and cooperation, as well as for the close and fruitful working relationship.
- Another aspect that distinguishes the Faculty is that it has served as the quarry of the University Student Federation at the country level since a large number of students, who have served as presidents of that organization in the center, have been elected to positions in the National Bureau of the FEU, a task they have performed responsibly and where they have achieved positive results.
- In addition to these duties, many of our school leaders have been selected as National Vanguards of that student organization.
- Numerous group of teachers and workers have been selected National Vanguards of the SNTECD and Prizes of the Rector of the ISCF and of the Minister of Higher Education.
- Existence of professional training strategies, high level of satisfaction on the part of employers, high level of satisfaction of students and graduates for their preparation in a broad profile, follow-up strategy to the graduate.
- Have the Center of Studies for Sports Training in High Performance.
- Recognition by various bodies and institutions in the province for their contribution to the education and training of its technical force, including MININT, Public Health, the Federation of Cuban Women, the Association of Combatants of the Cuban Revolution, ACLIFIM, Sports Medicine, Tourism, INDER, among others.
- Contribution to the formation of athletes and coaches of recognized international prestige who are today part of the Cuban Olympic medal.
- Publication of more than 10 books with national and international impact, among them: El señor pelotero, El niño Linares, Cosas de la pelota, Nosotros los peloteros, Mitos y realidades de la pelota cubana, Pequeña Enciclopedia Olímpica de la Cultura Física, Pedro Luis Lazo: el rascacielos de Cuba y Espacios para la actividad físico deportiva.
- The research work of professors and students of the faculty has allowed the location of the province in outstanding places in the sport in the different levels of competition.
- Professors who hold the Distinction for Cuban Education, the José Tey Medal, Martyrs of Barbados, Rafael María de Mendive, ANIR October 8 Seal, Frank País 2nd grade, 60th Anniversary of the FAR, Manuel Ascunce and the 45th Anniversary Plaque of the University Studies in Pinar del Río.
- Twenty-one professors are members of the Provincial Sports Commissions in the province.
- Five teachers are members of the Academic Committee of the Master's Degree in Sports Training for High Performance.
- Eight professors are invited members of the National Tribunal for PhD Defenses in the Specialty of Physical Culture Sciences.
- Two professors are National Chess Masters.
- One professor is a member of the Scientific Council of the Latin American Chess Institute.
- Twenty-five professors are members of the Scientific Council of the Faculty of Physical Culture of the UPR.
- The faculty has fulfilled an internationalist and sports collaboration mission in several countries.
- Different prizes with territorial and national scope: Cuban Academy of Sciences (Provincials, several in the five-year period and one National in 2017).
- Prizes in the Forum of Science and Technology until national level; Creative Woman; Seal Forgers of the Future; of Technological Innovation; Innovator without Borders of the ANIR.
- Prizes of the Dean and the Rector in different spheres (an average of three prizes of the Rector per course until 2015, even in 2 occasions the most Integral Teacher of the whole network of Physical Culture of the country.
- Scientific Merit Award from student scientific group.
- Young CITMA Researcher at provincial and national level.
- Second place worldwide award for outstanding work as an environmental promoter in sport in the project: Global Sports Alliance (GSA), to a professor of the faculty in charge of the project in Cuba (Fernando Emilio Valladares Fuente).
- International Award for "Monitoring Global Water Quality" for team work led by a faculty professor (North American Panel, GSA project).
- Seven professors are members of the Court of Teaching Category (Instructor and Assistant).
- Seven professors are members of the Court of Higher Teaching Category (Titular and Auxiliary).
- Three professors are members of the Scientific Council of the UPR.
- Four professors are members of the Editorial Board of the Podium Magazine, the publishing body of the Faculty, two professors belong to the Advisory Board and one of them is the Director of the Faculty.
- Nine professors are referees of Podium Magazine.
- Two teachers are members of the National Commission for their sports (Football and Rhythmic Gymnastics).
- Five professors are Experts of the National Accreditation Board.
- A teacher is Captain of the GSA team in Cuba (World Sports Alliance), based in Japan.
- One teacher is an International Boxing Referee and another is a Wrestling Umpire.
- A professor is a member of the International Academy of ECOESPORTE in Brazil.
- A teacher is coordinator of the Educate Your Child Program of INDER Municipal.
- A teacher has been a Member of the Scientific Council of the Association of Cuban Pedagogues for more than five years.
- Two teachers are members of the National Cloister specialising in Football and Rhythmic Gymnastics at the UCCFD Manuel Fajardo.
- A professor of the Faculty is invited member of the Commission of Scientific Grade of Forest Sciences and another one of Medical Sciences and Pedagogical Sciences in the province.
- Three faculty members served for two years at the International School of Physical Education and Sport (EIEDF) and the Latin American School of Medicine (ELAM).
- Two faculty members are members of the Master of Didactics of Physical Education, accredited and taught in Venezuela.
- A faculty member co-authored a digital and printed book with a group of authors from the University of Cortázar, Guanajuato in Mexico entitled: "Let's Improve the Planet. Environmental Proposals" which is in the ALMA repository of the UPR.
- A professor of the Faculty is co-author of a printed book with a Doctor in Sciences of the Physical Culture of the University of Guayaquil, Ecuador titled "Notions on the massage" that is in all the faculties of the country and in the Documentation Center of the National INDER.
- Very outstanding results achieved in the Mountain Contingent "Manuel Piti Fajardo", which became a national reference for FEU and INDER for their work in the mountains in response to the call made by Fidel at the V Congress of the FEU.
- Provincial recognition of ANIR's work in the faculty, on several occasions, as well as the awarding of the Innovative Entity Award granted by CITMA in the province in several courses during the 2005-2017 period.
- Excellent results obtained by the students of the Faculty in the National Forum of Students of Physical Culture Sciences, occupying first to third place consecutively in the years 2003-2010.
- More than 600 graduates of the Master's Degree in Physical Activity in the Community, in the 8 editions of the same, carried out in the Faculty, were totaled in the province.
- A professor of the Faculty worked for 3 years as an advisor to the Minister of Sports of Guatemala.
- A professor of the Faculty directed for 3 years the Sports Mission of Cuba in Ecuador.
- A professor of the Faculty provided advice in Sports Psychology for 3 years to the Autonomous Sports Confederation of Guatemala and was in this same stage coordinator of the Diploma in Sports Psychology at the University of San Carlos in Guatemala.
- Development of national events such as: the International Scientific Methodological Conference on Physical Education and Sports at the FCF in Pinar del Río, from 2001 to 2015, until 2005 every year and from then on, biannually; it achieved great visibility and participation at the national level.
- Between 2005-2011 there were 95 International Courses in which 132 students participated and 14810.00 CUC was contributed.
- An agreement was signed with the director of the Aero-Fitness School of Physical Preparation in Alicante, Spain and two letters of intent with Mexican universities.
- There are also two international projects in the faculty, one underway on the subject of the environment and physical culture and another in the process of approval on physical rehabilitation in the community.
- Defense of several editions of the Master's in Physical Activity in the Community.
- Defense of several editions of Specialties in different sports disciplines.
- Defense of several professors such as Doctors of Science.
- Development of the International Pedagogical Scientific Conference in alternate years.
- Editions and publications of books whose authors are professors of the Faculty.
- Participation of teacher-researchers in national and international events.
- Participation of some of our teachers as a member of the Organizing Committee and as a member of the jury of international events such as AFIDE, as well as the National Biomechanics Workshop and as Guest Lecturer in other events such as Environment and Sports. Also to teach Pre-Event Courses in those contests.
- Obtaining of prizes and mentions to Outstanding Research Students.
- Obtaining, on the part of the great majority of the research teachers, of Prizes of the Academy of Sciences of Cuba to the Scientific Result with provincial scope.
- Count on consulting teachers.
- The institution also boasts of having among its retired collaborators one of the most prestigious personalities of sports literature in the province and the country.
- Obtaining by our professors-researchers of prizes and mentions in national and provincial events of formation of values in the sport, event AJEDUNI, as well as in the events AJECUBA and Balonmano.
- Obtaining the status of INNOVATIVE SCIENCE AND TECHNICAL ENTITY continuously from 2004 to date.
- The faculty has a doctoral strategy that should increase its projection in the number of short-term candidates, both in the institution and externally.
- There is a high level of cooperation and integration of the institution with the entities of the territory.
- The presence of faculty professors in the Science and Technological Innovation Councils of INDER is increased, contributing to obtaining positive results for the sport of Pinar del Río.
- Increased faculty participation in national and international events as a result of scientific activity.
- Extension of territorial and national awards and recognitions to workers and students.
- Progress is made in the Movement of the Science and Technology Forum and the ANIR, based on the increase in participation and the obtaining of recognitions and awards.
- The image and visibility of the institution is reinforced through the publication of the scientific-technological journal PODIUM on a quarterly basis.
- Several consecutive years in the economic area the condition of certified accounting was maintained, as well as that of reliable entity among all the Faculties of INDER in the country.
As a result of all the work done by the labor and student groups of the Faculty, this wasrecently subject to the External Evaluation process (October 2018) by a group of experts from the Central Accreditation Board, waiting for the final report, which, ACCREDITED the career of PHYSICAL CULTURE.
In spite of having been recognized by personalities of the province, as well as by the President of INDER, for constituting the first and only one that gathers the history of one of the Faculties of Physical Culture in all the country, we are sure that different causes, all of them foreign to the will of those who have interest in this investigation, provoke the lack of information, references, news and/or arguments worthy of being reflected in it.
Based on the shortcomings that exist in the work, we request the contribution of all those who can contribute elements that make it possible to make this testimony more effective.
We urge that, from now on, the number of investigations aimed at making known the history of the Faculties of Physical Culture that are located in each of the provinces of the country be increased.
Batioja, R., & Ricauter, D. (2016). Estudio para la implementación de procesos de formación en los niños y jóvenes de 7 a 14 años en las escuelas deportivas del gobierno autónomo descentralizado de la ciudad de Esmeraldas 2016 (Bachelor'sthesis, Quito: UCE).
Colectivo de autores (1974) Expediente de la creación de la EPEF (Escuela Provincial de Educación Física) Resolución del Consejo de Estado y Ministros de septiembre de 1974. Documento Escrito disponible en la Dirección Nacional del INDER (Instituto Nacional de Educación Física y Recreación).
Colectivo de autores (1978) Expediente de la creación de la Filial de Cultura Física de Pinar del Río. Resolución No.31 de junio de 1978 del Presidente del INDER. Documento Escrito disponible en la Dirección Nacional del INDER.
Colectivo de autores (1988) Expediente de la creación de la Facultad de Cultura Física de Pinar del Río. 4 de julio 1988 mediante la Resolución 143 del Presidente del INDER. Documento Escrito disponible en la Facultad de Cultura Física "Nancy Uranga Romagoza".
Colectivo de autores (2010) 22 de febrero de 2010, del Consejo de Estado y de Ministros Acuerdo 976.5 sobre la Integración de los Centros de Educación Superior del MES (Ministerio de Educación Superior), el MINED (Ministerio de Educación) y el INDER.
Díaz, G. B., et al (2017). Historia de la Educación Física en Cuba. Actividad Física y Ciencias, 5(1).
Jiménez Berenguel C., et al (2018). Alternativa didáctica para la vinculación de la historia nacional y Local. Revista Educación y Sociedad. Vol. 16, No.2, mayo-agosto de 2018 (66-78).
Martínez de Osaba, J.A y Cruz M. (2012). Pequeña Enciclopedia Olímpica y de la Cultura Física. Editorial Científico-Técnica. La Habana. Cuba.
Martínez de Osaba, J.A. (2016). Cultura Física y Deportes. Génesis, evolución y desarrollo hasta la Inglaterra del siglo XIX. Editorial. Deportes.
Reggiani, A. H. (2016). Cultura física, performance atlética e higiene de la nación. El surgimiento de la medicina deportiva en Argentina (1930-1940). Historia Crítica, (61).
Rodríguez Morales, A. (2015). Las escuelas deportivas y artísticas favorecedoras del desarrollo integral de los estudiantes del Colegio El Minuto de Dios: Propuesta para el mejoramiento de la gestión pedagógica. Universidad Libre de Colombia Facultad de Educación Especialización en Gerencia Educativa y Gestión Social. https://repository.unilibre.edu.co/handle/10901/7606
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International license
Copyright (c) 2019 María Ofelia Armas Álvarez, René Mesa Peña, María Victoria Hernández Pérez